Being part of a great leadership team and work environment is crucial to running a successful school over a long period of time. As principals or superintendents it should be our priority to create excellent working conditions for our leadership team and teacher leaders to elevate their skills and productivity. It's also important if you are part of a negative team with a poor superintendent or school board it might be time to start looking for another administrative job.
The picture above is from Jim Collins book How The Mighty Fall. These are great tips for principals and/or superintendents looking to improve their leadership team and also These are also good reminders of what it looks like for schools that are going down the wrong path.
Here are some tips as superintendent on improving and moving your school forward:
1) Make data informed decisions and invite stakeholder involvement
2) Build your administrative team and welcome deep discussions and highlight their successes
3) Work on growing a successor and other leaders within the building. If you leave the district as a superintendent and there is a leadership void you have done your district a disservice
4) When hiring teachers or principals and its between the "local person" or the "other person" make sure you hire the "best person" every time
5) Put your school in the best position by hiring the most talented person instead of the person with the most experience
Blog written by: Principal Andy Jordan